Everything from your life flows from your heart- Problems of sin are way upstream, in the source- the heart
- Ex. Matthew 5:28- If you have a lust problem, you have a heart problem
- Ex. Matthew 6:21- where your treasure is there your heart will be also
- Ex. Luke 6:45 – what comes out of a man’s mouth is from the heart
We shouldn’t focus on our behavior
- Questions we can tend to have: Why are we saying these words? Having these thoughts?
- We should rather realize it’s a heart issue
What’s the solution?
- Option 1: Try to just change our behavior and keep rules, leading to pride and despair (Don’t do this)
- Option 2 (the better way): Stop trying to fight behavior and fight in the realm of the heart
If you are a Christian, you need to examine your deepest desires.
Helpful way to start the day: acknowledging our inability to be wise all the time, that we are fallible and prone to do so.
- In the morning, realize that that day, “I can be a fool”
- We are not infallible
- Don’t be overconfident in yourself
Praise God! It leads to dependence on Him and denies us the self-reliance that is foolish and leads to death.
*Study Sermons available on the Mars Hill Church website
(listened to on 10/25/12)